Making Strawberry Flan: A Perfect Spring Recipe
Flan is a type of custard that can be made in a variety of ways. In Spain, where my family is from, it’s kept simple, with only a few ingredients to let the flavors shine through. It’s no surprise that a good flan is far richer and creamier during this season, when the pastures are vibrant and overflowing with every good grass and weed.
Traditionally, a caramelized topping is used to top a flan. However, since strawberries are currently into season, it is great to do experiments when it comes to making a flan. Let’s start making this awesome treat!
- 1 cup strawberries mashed
- ¼ cup honey
- For the Custard
- 1 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup Grade A dark maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest finely grated
- Bring the strawberries and honey to a boil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Reduce the heat to low and keep it constantly simmering for 5 to 8 minutes, or until it reduces and thickens. Once cooled, the natural pectin in the strawberries gives the syrup a thickened jam consistency.
- After the strawberries have been cooked down, spoon about 1 12 – 2 tablespoons into each flan mold.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Bring the milk, cream, and vanilla extract to a boil in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium-high heat. While the milk and cream are heating up, whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, maple syrup, and lemon zest in a separate bowl. Turn off the heat and gradually whisk in the hot milk into the egg mixture in the bowl once the milk has just come to a boil.
- Pour the custard into the flan molds after the ingredients have been whisked together.
- In a baking dish or roasting pan, place the individual molds. Pour enough hot water into the baking dish or roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of the molds using the bain-marie method (water-bath). Bake at 300F for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the baking dish or roasting pan to cool before removing the individual molds. Before serving, place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Serve garnished with fresh whipped cream and mint on a serving dish.
Get your ingredients at Fresh Farms now!
Fresh Farms got a lot of items you can get to make different recipes and if you wish to make this awesome Strawberry Flan, you can get fresh strawberries from any of our locations.
Happy 4th of July! America’s birthday is coming up and for many of us, that
If you’ve ever traveled to another country, you know that the food is always a