Even with all the medical advances today, people will still fall for chronic diseases. We’re talking about heart problems, kidney problems, and more.
These issues don’t just mess with our daily lives but also a massive load on our healthcare system. There are a lot of factors causing this, and here’s one silver lining: it’s what’s on our plates.
The food we consume daily has a say in our health. And guess what? Fresh fruits and vegetables are our best buddies in this fight.
Packed with all the good stuff, let’s learn how fresh produce battles out these nasty chronic diseases.
What are Chronic Diseases?
Chronic diseases are those health issues that want to stick around your body for a long time. If sudden flu keeps you in bed for about a week or two, chronic diseases affect your entire life.
Some of these diseases include:
- Coronary artery disease
- High blood pressure
- Breast cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Colon cancer
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Are they contagious? Certainly not, but according to the World Health Organization, they’re the top reasons behind most deaths worldwide.
Chronic diseases not only cause physical pain or comfort but can also drain your wallet, cut down your working hours, and affect your mental and emotional well-being.
So, what can we do about it? One simple yet powerful solution is to eat more fresh produce.
What is Fresh Produce?
Simply put, fresh produce is fruits, veggies, herbs, nuts, and legumes. We usually consume them organically or conventionally. They’re often free from preservatives.
Fresh produce isn’t just a hydration source or filler; it has nutrients, each with its unique health perks:
- Vitamins – They’re great for boosting our immunity, crucial for blood and bones, and keeping our skin radiant.
- Minerals – For instance, potassium. It keeps your blood pressure in check.
- Fiber – This nutrient powerhouse helps digestion, balances your blood sugar, and reduces that immediate feeling of hunger.
- Antioxidants – These are your warriors that fight against cellular damage.
- Phytochemicals – Plant gems that offer more than usual nutrients. Just like lycopene from tomatoes. It helps you fight cancer.
We can see here that fresh produce isn’t just food – it’s medicine.
Using Fresh Produce as a Weapon for Diseases
1. Antioxidants and PhytochemicalsWe’re constantly under attack from free radicals. These little troublemakers do three things: hurt our cells, play a part in aging, and cause serious health issues. Antioxidants come to the rescue and save your cells from getting hurt. They prevent diseases from coming into your body. If they’ve started, the antioxidants slow them down. To get the most out of these nutrients, seasoned fresh produce is most likely beneficial. The seasoned colors also hint at what compounds are inside. For example:
- Blueberries – They are stuffed with anthocyanins that lower blood pressure and protect your cells.
- Apples – Comes with quercetin that helps reduce swelling in the body.
- Tomatoes – Flaunting lycopene that helps prevent prostate cancer.
2. FiberFiber is not being talked about a lot, but it’s doing a lot of wonders for our health. Aside from it helps us with our diet, it also keeps our hearts healthy. Do you know those fresh fruits and veggies at the local farmer’s market? They’re packed with dietary fiber that works for our digestion. Because of sustainable farming practices, fresh produce can help you avoid constipation and is your heart’s best friend. Some examples of this nutrient include apples, pears, leafy greens, beans, and whole grains. They keep away the cholesterol before your body absorbs it.
3. Vitamins and MineralsOur bodies are like cars – they need the right fuel to run smoothly. And that’s where vitamins and minerals come into play. Luckily, fresh produce is the source of these goodies. Here’s how:
4. Low Caloric DensityLet’s face it. Obesity has become popular nowadays. With processed foods as a large factor. It has been triggering a series of health problems like:
- Heart diseases
- Type 2 diabetes
Fresh Produce’s Continuous Effect
We’ve mentioned a lot about fresh produce being healthy for the body, but it also brings good to your whole society. In this section, let’s talk about how our love for fresh produce is making the world a better place:
1. Boosts Our Economy
Chronic diseases are costing us big time – emotionally and economically too. Healthcare expenses soar with repeated hospital visits, regular treatments, and long-term care.
But, by enjoying more fresh produce, we’re giving ourselves a fighting chance against these diseases.
A healthier population equals fewer hospital visits, saving money for everyone. When we’re fit and healthy, we’re also more productive, making a difference in our workplaces.
2. Great for the Planet
Choosing fresh produce over other alternatives is also a thumbs-up for Mother Earth.
Growing fresh produce typically needs less water and fewer chemicals. This results in reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
Also, by supporting our local farmers and community gardens, we’re fighting against carbon footprints.
3. Building Stronger Communities
As neighborhoods promote the goodness of fresh fruits and veggies, we see the rise of farmer’s markets, local food festivals, and communal gardening.
These aren’t just places to shop or events to attend; they’re places where your community can take pride in local offerings.
The magic of fresh produce in fighting off long-term illnesses is simply amazing. It’s more than just feeling good about what we eat; it’s about making our neighborhoods and planet healthier.
Fresh Farms offers a lot of fresh produce options. We will help make you look out for yourself, and you can help us let our local farmers thrive.
Swing by Fresh Farms, join this fantastic movement, and let’s battle chronic diseases with fresh produce together!