What is even more tempting than sugar in our tummies? If you have a sweet tooth, making healthy choices can be a real challenge.
As soon as you enter the grocery store, you’ll likely see sugary products that can impact your dietary choices. From cereals to snacks and drinks, the aisles are filled with hidden sugars that can cause problems when consumed too much.
So today, we’ve decided to help you find out all the healthier sweet tooth alternatives without compromising your health. From natural sweeteners to low-sugar options, we’ve got you covered!
If you’re ready to take control of your sweet tooth, read on and let your body be as healthy as possible.
Where are the Sugars Hiding?
If you think only known sweet treats are what cause sugar, there are a few products that contain hidden sugars. They’re usually where you least expect them to be. And yes, including those you think are not sweet.
Some common products that may contain these hidden sugars are:
- Condiments (Salad dressings, ketchup, etc.)
- Bread (Honey wheat, Raisin bread, etc.)
- Processed Soups
- Canned Fruits
- Pre-packed Meals
But not all products have hidden sugars in them. To find out what products have, look for the terms with “-ose” at the end, “syrup”, “sugar”, and other sugar-related terms.
Don’t be fooled by the words “natural”, or “made with real fruit”. There still can be added sugars.
Being aware of where your sugar content is hiding allows you to step forward in finding healthier options as you shop for your dietary needs.
Whole Food Alternatives for the Sweet Tooth
Knowing that certain products have hidden sugars, natural sweeteners can be your best friend. They’re good for adding sweetness and have additional nutrients and benefits. Some popular choices include:
- Raw Honey
- Maple Syrup
- Agave Nectar
Aside from these popular choices, there are also naturally sweet fruits. They come with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Here’s how you can add it to your recipes:
- Mashed Bananas – can be smashed and added to your muffins, pancakes, and oatmeal cookies.
- Applesauce – An excellent replacement when you want a little sweetness and moisture.
- Dates – another naturally sweet ingredient used in smoothies, energy bars, and desserts.
By embracing these whole-food alternatives, you can satisfy your sweet tooth, nourish your body, and reduce sugar intake.
Low-sugar and Sugar-free Alternatives
Don’t get us wrong, sugar can still be good for our bodies, but too much of it isn’t good. Aside from whole food options, we’ve also got low-sugar and sugar-free ones to satisfy your cravings while on a diet.
- Low-sugar or No-added-sugar Cereals
- Low-Sugar Peanut Butter
- Reduced sugar jam or preserves
- Low-sugar sauces (ketchup, barbecue sauce, and pasta sauce)
- Vinaigrettes made with balsamic vinegar and olive oil
- Sugar-Free Soda or Soft Drinks
- Sugar-Free Gum and Mints
- Sugar-free ice cream, gelatin, and pudding
- Sugar-Free Jellies and Syrups
- Sugar-Free Baking Ingredients
- Sugar-Free Snack Bars
Just to be sure that you’re getting these kinds of products, look for the words “stevia”, “erythritol”, and “monk fruit”. These ingredients are often many times sweeter than sugar but healthier.
Healthier Snack Choices
To satisfy your sweet tooth while maintaining a healthier lifestyle, it’s essential to check some snack options available at your local grocery store. Some of these snacks with lower sugar include:
- Fresh Fruit – Apples, strawberries, and citrus fruits.
- Nuts and Seeds
- Greek Yogurt paired with weight-losing strawberries, blueberries, and mangoes.
- Dark Chocolate – especially that with high cocoa content (70% or more)
- Nut Butter with Whole Grain Crackers
- Dried Fruits with Nuts
You can still satisfy your sweet cravings through these options but not sacrifice your diet.
Why Opt for Healthier Sweet Alternatives?
Again, sugar intake should be in moderation. Having so much sugar in your body is bad for your well-being. If you need help with that, opt for healthier, sweet alternatives. Below are other benefits to consider:
- Reducing sugar can help stabilize blood sugar levels, especially if you are prone to diabetes.
- Too much sugar can risk you to heart disease, so lessening your intake lessens the chances.
- Did you know sugar can affect your mood? Lowering your sugar can maintain emotional stability.
- High-sugar foods can help you gain much weight. Alternatives make it easier for you to control yourself.
- Healthier sweet alternatives can give you more energy to face your day because of the carbohydrates and fiber that come with it.
- Too much sweets can destroy your teeth and gums. By opting for alternatives, you can smile healthily.
- High-sugar diets can be addicting. This is not good. Sweet options can help you break that cycle.
Satisfying your sweet tooth doesn’t have to mean compromising your health. It’s all about balancing the flavors you love and making choices that support your overall wellness.
Healthier, sweet alternatives can help you achieve this balance. Fresh Farms dedicates aisles where your sugar choices are and those looking for an alternative to these sweet cravings.
We can help you make good choices for a sweeter, healthier future!